Operational Experience (1980-2004)
- Strategic Planning (client confidential), South Korea: Provided information used to develop the company’s strategy in petrochemicals for higher alpha olefins and metallocene LLDPE based on cost of production analysis by key competitor locations globally. This included a regional and global analysis of selected LLDPE products, identification and analysis of key issues, industry participants and an analysis of strategic issues.
- Strategic Planning (client confidential), South Korea: Provided information used to develop the company’s strategy in petrochemicals for plastomers and elastomers based on cost of production analysis by key competitor locations globally. This included a regional and global analysis of selected producers, identification and analysis of key issues, industry participants and an analysis of strategic issues.
Market Research and Analysis
- Polyolefins Seminars, Global: Provided semi-annual review presentations of the global and domestic polyolefin business including demand analysis, pricing, competitive commentary, new plant analysis, technology developments, industry structure, etc. to polyolefins producers and large converters.
- Polyolefins Multi-client Studies: Authored and published more than 55 studies of global polyolefins markets performing basic market research, supply and demand forecasting, trade balances, for PE and PP and their specialty derivatives over a 12-year period.
- Market Analysis and Forecasts, Asia, China, Middle East, Europe, Latin America, North America: Developed a detailed market supply/demand analysis by application and developed forecasts for the next five to ten years for a variety of commodity and specialty polymers for multiple clients by region and by country.
- Logistic Analysis and Forecasts, Asia, China, Middle East, Europe, Latin America, North America: Developed a detailed logistic cost analyses for shipment of polymers to different ports from different origination points from multiple ports around the world. A forecast for the next five to ten years was also developed for clients.
- Technology Selection (client confidential): Provided the commercial and technical analysis to a company entering the polyolefins business. This included evaluating licensor product lines as to its fit in the US/Canadian domestic market, product grade slate and a domestic demand forecast for the next 5-10 years. Client is currently investing in an announced new petrochemical complex in North America.
- Polymer Bench-marking, Asia, Latin America and North America: Participated in numerous bench-marking assignments with a heavy focus on polyolefins. This included organizational structure analysis, cost structure, sales by market, profitability analysis, operational variables such as days of inventory, off-grade production, transition times, number of reactor and post-reactor grades, manpower, R&D, perceived strategic direction, and corporate issues where applicable.
- Polyethylene Producer Cost Analysis: Western Europe: Developed detailed cost of production models for an international large blow molding/injection molding converter for all HDPE producers in Western Europe versus key Middle East producers with forecasted costs 3 years out. Client used information to assist in supply contract discussions. Delivered a simplified cost model so client could perform own calculations going forward.
New Project Development
- Petrochemical US Feasibility Ethylene/Polyethylene Study, USA – Identified US ethylene and polyethylene producers that would be willing to entertain supplying ethylene and/or PE to a Western European producer over a short period of time. Contacted executive level decision makers and set up confidential meetings with my client and producer. Ultimately led to client taking discussions further with two producers and “cooperating” in some defined areas.
- North American Polyethylene & Key Derivatives Market Analysis, USA: Provided a polyethylene market and key derivatives analysis for a US PE and PP producer either looking to expand or exit certain portions of the market. Ultimately led to the client shutting down its PE business while maintaining and expanding its PP business.